I am a Computer Science and Applied Mathematics student at Baldwin Wallace University, graduating in May 2024.
I am a member of the MOPS Research Group,
and my current research focuses on a low-cost, low-power solution for Fine-Grained Air Quality sensing in Cleveland.
I aim to develop solutions leveraging mobile apps, IoT sensing networks, and hardware to address community needs and environmental levels.
I am passionate about contributing to meaningful research projects and discovering innovative solutions in these domains.
Outside academics, I love reading, making/hacking, and exploring.
Research Interests: Mobile/IoT Sensing, Embedded Systems, Ubiquitous Computing, Human-Computer Interaction.
View a complete list of my research presentations & talks here.
Fine-Grained Air Quality Sensing With IoT
NSF-funded project investigating low-cost and low-power air quality monitoring on an Internet of Things platform using Raspberry Pi/Arduino boards and Particulate Matter 2.5 sensors.
Research Area: Mobile/IoT Sensing Networks, Embedded Systems
EduSense: Classroom Sensing Towards More Inclusive & Equitable Teaching
EduSense is a smart classroom sensing system that captures visual and audio data, paired with machine learning to display a dashboard to instructors for their professional development.
Research Area: Human-Computer Interaction, Machine Learning, Sensor Networks
Campus Plate ()
Campus Plate is an interdisciplinary research project funded by the EPA's People, Prosperity, and Planet (P3) Grant to help reduce food waste, food insecurity, and student hunger on college campuses via a mobile application.
Research Area: Mobile Computing
- Julia Gersey, Brian Krupp, Jonathon Fagert, Tony Mlady. "Pilot Study of Deploying IoT Micro Air Quality Sensors in an Urban Environment: Lessons Learned". 2023 ACM Consortium for Computing Sciences in Colleges Midwestern Conference. (Accepted)
- Brian Krupp, Julia Gersey, Jonathon Fagert, Tony Mlady. "Towards Fine-Grained Air Quality Sensing in Urban Environments". 2022 ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2022). (Accepted) (Poster)
- Brian Krupp, Julia Gersey, Franklin Lebo. "Campus Plate: Connecting Students on College Campuses to Reduce Food Waste and Food Insecurity". 2022 International Conference on Research in Adaptive and Convergent Systems (ACM RACS 2022). (Accepted)
The latest on my academic research, funding, and articles highlighting my work.
- September 2023: Joined the student-run ACM XRDS Magazine as the 'LABZ' Department Editor
- August 2023: Awarded the largest CIO Tomorrow Scholarship at $3,590
- July 2023: Paper on Air Quality Pilot Deployment results was accepted to CCSC Midwest Conference
- May 2023: Our Air Quality project was chosen to receive National Science Foundation funding
- March 2023: Awarded a NASA Ohio Space Grant Consortium Research Scholarship for 2023-2024 academic year
- March 20, 2023: Speaking at Cleveland's Big Data Meetup
- March 8, 2023: Accepted into Carnegie Mellon's Human-Computer Interaction Institute REU program
- Feburary 24-25, 2023: Presented Air Quality Research at OCWiC Conference
- December 2022: Featured in BW Science Happens Here: Meet Julia
- November 9, 2022: Awarded a Women for BW Grant to support my trip to Guatemala to deploy BW's Medical Software System
- November 6-9, 2022: Received an ACM Travel Grant to present Air Quality poster at ACM SenSys in Boston
- October 22, 2022: Accepted into Carnegie Mellon's OurCS conference and researched Congestion Control with TCP Hybla
- October 2022: Air Quality poster was accepted to ACM SenSys 2022
- September 2022: Campus Plate paper was accepted to ACM RACS 2022
- April 2022: Awarded a NASA Ohio Space Grant Consortium Research Scholarship for 2022-2023 academic year
- April 2022: Completed a Representation in STEM Research Project with BW STEM Scholars
- Feburary 2022: Featured in Cleveland Magazine's article 'Baldwin Wallace Steps Up to the Plate' for Campus Plate research
- January 2022: Selected for BW STEM Student Spotlight about my Campus Plate research
- September 2021: Featured in BW student-faculty computer science research group on a roll
For questions or inquiries, please email me at: jgersey20 [at] bw [dot] edu.